Monday, February 20, 2017

When Making a Something When Is It Done?


Much of the month of February for hundreds of model horse hobbyists has been been taken up by NaMoPaiMo - or National Model Painting Month.

We were invited to join Jennifer Bray Buxton to join her in finishing a customized model horse sometime during the month. She'd hoped for one hundred painters to join in the adventure. Instead over six hundred brave souls from all over the world have signed up - either by the official deadline (eligible for prizes) or later - as inspiration to start, keep going, and/or finish work on a particular model equine.

Instead of working on pastel or acrylic or other kinds of bears I have been"treating" myself to re-living a life I lived many years ago. Painting in oil over acrylic I created the most basic of customized model horses - the simple "repaint." No parts moved, sculpted, or changed in any way. Because I used to use Breyer horses as the base for more customized models - living in a world of grinding bits, epoxies, primers, paints, and mohair, working on my little guy these past weeks seemed both easy and hard. Easy, because I did nothing to prep him but a little sanding; hard because I know how far the the best artists in the hobby have come.


Nevertheless, I started in, kept going, felt emotions I've not felt in many years, and finally have a little Appaloosa colt that, although may never win a ribbon in a show ring - does have a place in my heart.

Welcome to the herd, Sunshine's Phillip Under the Influence!




Because I was once a model horse judge - at national level - I do look at this little lad with critical eyes. But I won't for long - because now I prefer to try doing a few things just for the fun of doing them. THIS IS SO HARD!

And because my judge's eye and artist's heart are never satisfied I know little Phillip will have to be a different kind of model horse for me. I have not figured out what this is yet. He is less than a job but more than a hobby.

And I still don't know if he is done. His eyes are glossed, but he is not signed - silent LOL. Sue the Uncertain will let him sit for another day or two before entering him in the "I Did It!" Album on the NaMoPaiMo Page.

And then I will get back to the bears. Spring is coming. They are getting restless.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

3 comments:

timaru star ii said...

I love your attitude. But it can't be that hard to have fun. I too was inspired by NaMo, only not for painting. Are we now going to have yet another class of models, co created in Time?

Sue Bear said...

LOL, and Thanks for commenting! One wishes one knew what some of the future might hold. Right now it holds finishing three "real" pastel paintings. (You know me - I have fun even when I'm not having fun.)

Sue Bear said...

And painting this little guy WAS actually FUN!!