Monday, March 27, 2017

Deciding


Beginning is easy.
I've seldom had the fear of putting a starting mark on a piece of paper. Deciding to Start - yes. I sabotage Starting early and often.
let's do laundry, the dishes, even scrub the kitchen floor, instead of starting.
But once the piece of paper is in front of me, and there are drawing materials at hand - well, there is no reason not to put some stuff of that innocent clean sheet.





Some white pastel, a horizon line - here we go!

Because this is an actual landscape I can refer to the photograph shot this past summer. However, I don't have to put in every cloud, nor stick to actual colors. Much deciding... And a little bit of play.


After more pastels and play and pondering I think the image is almost finished. Luckily, the Lake Pastel Society meeting holds a group critique this month. Yes, I brought a bear, but this painting came along, too. 


After our five small groups went around to the five areas where our paintings were displayed, I sought out our most distinguished member, Fred Somers. Mr. Somers is an internationally-known pastelist and pastel teacher. He was kind enough to give a few suggestions and even a good tip on using paper toweling as a way to add more interest to the clouds. (Take a piece of "bumpy" toweling, place it over an area, and push straight down with thumb or finger - no blending.) I have not taken Fred's advice yet, but will probably do so soon, as this piece must be framed within the week.

As one can see when comparing photo to pastel painting much is the same, but much is different. Is that the art part? I did not photograph a number of the changes made in the creation of this piece. The trees at horizon line are partially sunset-glowed out. The wave lines created by the pontoon boat were calmed. Colors in sky and water were added and/or subtracted. Options. Choices. Decisions.

Now it's time to take some of Mr. Somer's advice. I look forward to trying the paper towel tapping. And framing whatever results.

And almost all of my pastels are framed in simple black frames. I'm glad that's one decision that's easy to make.

Now, back to four bear paintings. Acrylic on canvas. For shows that are coming up way too quickly. And time to decide what to make for breakfast.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

www.suerowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Rowe-Studios

No comments: