Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A Tiny Bit of Today


First, you must know that once upon a time I was pretty much Completely Shy. Leave me be. I will do the same with you. No, I do not wish to talk.

Times have changed.

Today, after seeing the movie "Gifted' - go see it! - Todd and I did a little suburban retail loop.

I managed to:

* chat with a lady in a large box store about food allergies and  major preservatives in mini muffins (I "had" to tell her of our adventure with storage unit muffins of same make and manufacture, that appeared perfectly soft and tasty - after sitting in an opened plastic container in a storage unit for over six years...) She wasn't going to eat the ones she had in her cart as she has wheat allergies, but was getting them for the church congregation, as she did on a regular basis. Yes, we even managed to talk about other things as we wheeled our carts down the concrete aisle. 
* discuss the prices of Romaine lettuce hearts at various retail stores with a woman debating getting a large, reasonably priced bag of same.
* wait silently for long long time outside of changing rooms at local Savers. Two of us were waiting waiting. The young slight woman and I had no idea if anybody would ever leave one of the little cubbie holes. We just looked looked at each other from time to time - calmly but semi-amazed at how long we were standing there.  A door opened! She had been there before me, but quietly said, "You go." Thanks, quiet, young woman. I went. And bought three new-to-me black, of course, tee shirts of various styles.
* be advised, very quietly, by a check-out clerk at large big-box store that perhaps I should wait a bit longer before renewing a certain membership card as she had heard that one's "year" might be effected by renewing "early." She leaned in to say that she could get in trouble for telling me this. O.K? Secret's safe with me? I thanked her and took her advice. And had more money to spend at Trader Joe's!
* have a quick solid gardening talk with the lady checking out our Trader Joe's purchases. We both are wishing for more sunshine and warmth. We laughed a little at how our seedlings are begging to get outdoors. She was asked by local niece if niece could plant petunias outdoors here now. The lady said that, yes, she could, but, no, she probably shouldn't. I agreed. Team Wait Till it's Warmer! No, I don't remember how this discussion got started. Yes, my spirit was lighter for having had that little talk.

That's about it for now. One little outing. Five tiny chats. Five contacts with humans I will probably never see again. But meeting real people dealing with small portions of our day.

I am the better for the doing.

Strangers are a tiny bit less strange.
And the tomatoes are still waiting to play outside.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

PS: We will be participating in Our Creative Routes Art Tour this last weekend in April. We will be exhibiting goodies at Color Crossings in Roberts, Wisconsin. Come visit!

www.surowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Sue-Studios



No comments: