Sunday, May 21, 2017

Grey Cold Wet


Grey.
Cold. 
Wet.

Seems to be forever so. And SO much more rain yesterday. Farmers' fields are ponds in low spots, and there is standing water in the rows that are already planted. Record set for metro rain amount yesterday.

I planted some spinach and tomatoes late last week - just for spite.
The other plants sit outside - wet, or inside - dry, with mixed but strained emotions. I feel most for the leggy zinnias. They are reaching for the non-existent sun. The basil seen to not care one way or other. the tomatoes are game to get going.

I've been away from "the Front" the past few days. Though our sloppy cold weather keeps mind going back to troops in trenches. No visible rats running around here. And no prisoners of war digging through meager offerings in garbage. No recent shellings. No shellings at all. Perhaps I will be thankful for current weather that only makes me recall a novel, and some of it's grey, wet cold facts.
********************

Today I plan to get to making art. The past weeks I have had  too many uncaring days. These are not good - if one is a professional artist. One must attend to business, work, create a good workplace conducive to creating. (I did do bookkeeping for an hour - sboo hoo.) I have ignored deadlines, getting orders out in a timely manner, and finishing drawings and paintings. This creates a backlog of guilt and stress - all self made. (It sucks Being Aware - hahaha.)

*************

So - on to more healthful eating, more mindful exercise, and an attempt at both waking up and calming the mind. "Simple" things - but hard for some (many) of us. Today starts a re-re-re-re-committing to the basic things I commit to. You know yours. I know mine.

*************
I forget that I'd vowed to have twenty-five percent of my greeting card offerings be "new" designs this season. Time to get crackin.'


It's strange to see these past years' art fair booths. Many bears are moved on. Others still pace around the space. We don't use the wooden trunk for tee shirts now. We should get a classier set up. We are cheap. And this system works for us and our customers.

I often think of our space as more "Mercantile" than "Art Festival Booth." I try catering to "the common person" and "art collector" alike. I do want a person to be able to afford an image I've created. I thrill when a large original is considered for ten minutes and then purchased. I understand when some people can't afford to pay five dollars for a greeting card. Baseline Hope is that most people entering this space are somewhat different - for the better - when they leave. 

Now I have to find a way to rev up spirit to make more live-affirming bruins. Yes, cranky bears CAN make a person smile. But too many cranky bears would not be good. Dance with fake smile while cranky? For now it's the way to go!

*********************

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

No comments: