Saturday, September 2, 2017

September Challenge

It's a Weird Challenge, but it's a Real Challenge...

January 1st, twenty years ago, I made a plan - to take the month of September "off." Yes, life stuff and business obligations would still be done, but hours would be dedicated to doing, well, it's hard to explain..., whatever I felt like doing. Amazingly, I pulled this off, more or less. "Wasted" time starting some unreadable stories that were never finished. Doing a couple pencil drawings - subjects of which I do not remember. This was Before Bears.

My mind was different after thirty days of whatever this was.

And in late October a magazine from the 1920's was chosen to read while I was doing a work day at American Gothic Antiques. The little brown desk is still there. The drawer that day held, among other things, a pencil and an unmarked 3 x 5 index card. I copied a woodcut image of a calm grizzly bear head. That is all.

Eventually, that drawing led life down a path that changed almost everything I do to make a living.

Next month it will be twenty years since I drew that bear.

In semi-celebration I've decided to take chunks of this September off. No particular plans yet. Perhaps a visit to a relative or two. Perhaps some visits to coffee shops more distant than the usual haunts. I do not know. Twenty years ago I did not know. I only knew that I was worn out doing something I'd loved doing for twenty years. I knew I no longer loved doing that. I still have many pieces of unfinished model horse tack. I have glorious memories of amazing times in the model horse world. And, oddly, enough, I'm poking a few pinkies back into that world again. But not as a Job.

It's odd being a full-time professional artist. One must depend on one's brain and hands to keep creating stuff that other people want to buy. Year after year after year. I have been lucky. Twenty years of working full-time in  the model horse hobby. Twenty years of making "bears" and other images with enough energy to the images that people want to purchase them. It's really quite amazing, especially for a person who has never been on a job interview - because I am/was too shy and/or have no real job skills. 

With that typed, I look forward to Day 3 of September 2017. Today's doings included finding two potential Black Swallowtail butterflies, putting to death (sorry) a number of Japanese Beetles, and going with Todd to see part of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" put on in Stillwater's Pioneer Park by the Zephyr Theatre Company.

The backpack purse is packed for another early morning go at the Minnesota State Fair. Tomorrow's plans include no plans. I want to draw and sit and watch and listen. It's going to be relatively warm. I'm guessing that the fairgrounds will be hoppin'. I know a couple "quiet" spots. I hope to draw some bunnies. I hope to end the day at the Farmers Union building - nursing a good de-caf and drawing someone playing a guitar. Going to try for another Bubble of Odd Relaxation. It happened for a few hours on Thursday. It was more than Wonderful.

Sometimes it's a challenge to not have a challenge.
On to the attempt!

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

No comments: