Monday, June 5, 2017

Playing with The Happy Bears


It's often odd that when the pressure to perform is mostly off - well, better stuff happens. I won't say better-finished-ready-for-public-viewing stuff happens, but playful, don't give a dang, let's PLAY stuff shows up.

I treated myself to real coffee (Highlander Grog), a chocolate chip biscotti, and time Sunday morning downtown at Tin Bins. It's been a while since I've been there, having started enjoying time at The Daily Grind, several blocks north in Stillwater. Drat that wanting to feel loyal to a good independent coffee shop. Or two...

Anyway, I'd folded some charcoal paper - a surface that I've never enjoyed working with - into four equal areas. No, I had no ideas of what to do or how to do it. Draw HAPPY!

On a recent trip into Wisconsin I'd purchased the cheapie cheapie watercolor sets used here. Yes, I know the color is fugitive. That's not the point. The point is to play. To splash around. To empty those trays so "real" watercolor pigments can be sneaked into the spaces.

Out came a fountain pen filled with black ink. Two Dancing Bears happened at top of sheet. Separate but interacting. They were having fun so I was having fun. Then another bear appeared. Not exactly thrilled to be there. Then a fourth - Dancing! Oh, dear.

With the characters blocked in it was time to head for the water. And color. Orange, yellow, and red held forth. So it felt "right" to do standing bear in greens and blues. Push the contrast, and all that.

None of that "stay in the lines" with this crew. The brush knew what it wanted to do, so I let it. And because the paper was not "precious" it was O.K. for blobs and globs to form and dry.



One more orange, red bear, a bit of text, a little "Hi, Tara" note to West Coast daughter on a coffee cup collar, and "work" was complete. 




I actually felt joyful doing this odd piece. And that is worth far more than the cost of a coffee and biscotti! Now to try for the Joy while working on work. So I am not that not-thrilled Green-Blue Bear.

The Happy Bears are starting to pile up.
Maybe some will agree to show themselves at upcoming art festivals. 

Duluth, Minnesota's Park Point Art Festival is the next one on the schedule. Find us in Booth 18. Last weekend of June. Hoping we'll add to some folks' "happy."

Summer is still coming. May you find some time to have Fun!

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

No comments: