Wednesday, July 5, 2017

2/3: Garden Again


This year..... well.....
The best I can say is "It's O.K."
It is mysterious. Marigolds planted nearly side by side are THRIVING next to some that are hanging in there. Same seen packet.A bit different planting times. I should have kept notes. This year I kept no notes. LESSON: Keep Notes

Three or four varieties of tomatoes - after slow start they are starting to bloom. Friends are harvesting their multi-colored fruit. I still will dream. And now must work to use up the sauce still frozen from last year's bumper crop.

Dill is doing O.K. Fennel is thriving. I hope to see a cycle of Black Swallowtail butterflies work its way through. No Monarch action on the milkweed. I hope they are doing things in other folks' yards.

Zinnias, sunflowers, marigolds, and coleus dress up the veggie garden. I bought my first dahlia this spring. I an wishing it luck.

A few pepper plants, a very few basil, some lettuce, radishes, kale, and collards are greening up well, as are three hills of winter squash. I gave no land over to the growing of summer squash this year, nor to Butternut, though it grew well in 2016. I want a dense intense squash. Come on, little vines! You can do it! There is a short row of pole beans. No peas. No carrots. Though there is still a few bare spots, so you never know.

Time to start the last blog post - which will be the first, of course.

Then on to filling magnet and card racks, banking, making more lists, and pretending to be aware of this lovely Minnesota summer day.

Carry on and 
Fare-thee-well,
Sue

No comments: