Thursday, July 6, 2017

Sugar: Thoughts


Once upon a time sugar, in all it's many forms, was taken for granted.
I scooped it onto cereal, poured it into the Kool-Ade pitcher, snuck sugar cubes from the stash we kept for our Shetland Ponies.

Now... sadly, or for good... sugar and my body, especially my head do not play well together. Boo hoo/hooray?

I have not purchased a bag of sugar in over six years. This looks strange to even see typed. But it is true. And life has gone on.

My dealing with tinnitus and daughter dealing with other health issues brought us, several years ago, to sharing a quite restricted diet. Especially in regards to sugar. We began reading food labels with serious intent. We learned to bake with other sweet-ish ingredients. We learned to enjoy foods with little or no sugar added. It CAN be done. 

No pop/soda. Or maybe just a sip of Coca Cola for me. I have not had a whole glass or can of pop since the winter of '11-'12. Can be done. I've never been a fan of sweet tea, so plain iced tea is peachy keen. Water with lemon is delicious. 

When I do indulge, and art fair season can be a challenge on many points, yes, the mouth and brain SO enjoy a good doughnut or scone, but the day after's "louder ringing" that fills head for next day or two.... well, those darned "I did this to myself AGAIN" emotions.

Yesterday I ate a delicious Mexican chocolate biscotti. And now plan to abstain from as much sugar as possible for as long as I can. This weekend holds the Grand Marais Art Fair. Grand Marais is home to The World's Greatest Doughnuts. So.... we shall see. If intake is limited to one per day I will consider this a limited moral victory. I do not plan to stockpile doughnuts. I used to stockpile these doughnuts. Plain or chocolate-iced, in particular... I will be sad, but the head will stay sane.

On to continued prepping for the summer art festivals.
And crossing things off the ever-growing lists.

Two little 3" x 3" canvases await experiementing with brush and goauche. Just to see what happens. John Coltrane is trying to out-do the always-ringing in ears. Sometimes heart/head pulse "cymbals" synch up with digital soundtrack. That's at least always interesting.

It is seldom too late to challenge oneself to a 21 or 30 day Personal Challenge. Sometimes they are fun. Sometimes not. But they ARE a way to learn about oneself. I learned that I can be thought of as a"sweet" person - haha - without much help with those tiny tasty crystals.

You CAN fool some of the people some of the time!

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

www.suerowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Rowe-Studios

No comments: