Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Perserverance


After seeing the woodchuck damage done by serious chomping done to innocent rows of green growing things, I was of mixed emotions climbing the hill to our little veggie/flower garden. We'd been gone a hot humid week. but then got a good rain. (I am lazy. Weeds REALLY pull out far more easily after a soaker.)


Yes, gree. Yes, ugly. Huzzah! No damage to tomatoes or beets or marigolds. Japanese beetles feasted on zinnias, but the Big Zs decided to bloom anyway. Way to go, Zs!

I staked up a few more 'maters, PLANTED some peppers that had been free from our local co-op. The brave plants were already creating tiny peppers, so I am hoping for at least a tiny harvest.

As you can see, the sunflowers took a major groundhog hit. But even they decided to leaf out and attempt to bloom.


I doubt the squirrels and goldfinch will be happy with their harvest. They won't have forest to fell and fill up on this year. Good thing the serious bad of seeds of safe and dry in the galvanized can. I used to be mad at seeing the damage the squirrels did - but at least they got to play with full-sized "trees."


Not this year.

Kale is attempting a comeback as well. I might get a meal or two.
Most of last year's harvest is still in the freezer. Because I live in the moment - and forget all the garden goodies will ready to be used after a simple thaw. Tomatoes, pesto, kale. Sigh.


As you can see, the little leaves are better than no leaves. so I have hope for a fresh breakfast of eggs and greens soon.

Time to head for antique shop now. But some speed-weeding was accomplished, as well as speed-planting.

Life is better for an half hour in the garden.

Fare-thee-well,

Sue

No comments: