Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Better - 10

Eek! We are on the backside of August. Daylight is definitely shorter. Most of us still have many Summer Plans, but are running short on Summer Days.
Today is cool, wet, and rainy. Our tomato jungle is FILLED with green orbs, but with little hint of pink, much less RED. Sigh. I will not be anxious yet. Well, maybe a little bit.

Last evening was the fifth of six Stillwater Summer Tuesdays. Two were rained out. Two I forgot about. 

Last night I took a green towel and a purse full of art supplies. And a thermal cup of herbal tea. And hope. Hope that the music was good, that there would be a place to put down towel (I only got in on second set - stuff happens...), and hope that the past week's national doings would fade from mind - if only for an hour.

It wasn't a perfect weather evening, but it was a good weather evening. The tiny black flying insects didn't attack as often as they can. I scored a spot much to my liking. And the band took the stage soon after towel and art supplies were arranged.

Playing was Third Wheel Project. The first band was formed in Alaska, but there are a number of small groups now. I do not know where "our" band was from. There is one based in Minnesota, so I'm guessing this was them.



I played around with using only the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen. Seeing how small a line could be created. Blocking in shapes. Editted the scene. Started with guitarist/lead singer in center. No, that's a lie. Began with bassist. D'Oh. Nope. We often cannot trust our brains to recall specific acts exactly. Anyway, after drawing bassist I attempted guitarist. O.K. And the amps and mics. Do I dare draw the fiddler? "Do, or do not." I did. I was O.K. with only depicting the musicians. Sometimes a drawing can be ruined by adding the wrong detail. But I plowed the tip of pen onward. Here's the stage. Here are instrument racks. And the concrete and chain in background. I didn't put in the large boat in the river. But I think I might remember it.

After this drawing, it was time to goof off. Bears, where are you, bears? Oh, here comes one. The same brush pen was used for outlining. Then out came that tiny tin of gouache and watercolors. This bruin's color is all gouache. (Sorry for ignoring you all summer, little watercolor chunks!)




I know NOTHING about this bear. Except that it had a night spent with really good, Wonderful - in fact, pie. I don't know if it is male or female. I don't know what kind of pie is was. I could wish to be so blissful.

Set over - certain Johnny Cash songs will never be the same - I packed up and headed back to secret parking space, and home.

The live music and being with humans who were not screaming at eachother, in person or online, was soul washing and a bit life-affirming.

On to today's Grand Adventures. Back out into the cold wet rain, and then to the second floor of American Gothic Antiques. Where, twenty years ago come October, the Bears began. 

Fare-thee-well, and enjoy the music of your choosing.

- Sue

No comments: