Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Better - 23

There was no room inside Daily Grind coffeeshop - so here I am - outside on a sunny deck lounging on a comfy outdoor couch-y thing. De-caf coffee in a to-go cup. (I will be using parts of this cup to make into art later.) Good vibes - as in from vibraphone - and soft clarinet are chillin' in the ear-buds. Should have worn a cap, but I'd not known that outdoors is where the typing would be typed. Perfect soft breeze to accompany breezy jazz. Sigh. THIS is the Summer I've been missing out on all season. (Do NOT take a nap here, Susan. That would be so unprofessional of you.)

Just now I dared to take off right foot's well-used Nike sneaker as to get even more comfy. Do I dare practicing R-E-L-A-X-ing? Put head back on bank of lovely pillows... Close eyes... smile a little smile.... Come on. You can do it. Slow count to thirty. One...twoo.. threeeee... fourrrr..... Breathe in.... Breathe out...
Wow. Made it up to thirty-five! And could have gone longer. This will be a completion of a small "Superbetter" (Look it up if you care to know more.) Quest. Baby steps, you know.

On to the reason for posting:
Monday's Minnesota State Fair visit was partially to take part once again in the group fair sketchout held twice each fair. I missed Saturday's doings as we were at ArtStreet in Green Bay. But this doings is always so much fun that Monday was mandatory for me to head in to fairgrounds early. Not 6 A.M. early, but 8:30 A.M. early. Todd said he'd join us later in the day - hooray!

I roamed the fairgrounds, stetched a few pen and ink people, some scribbled square-dancers, and then met up with hubby. We went to a few buildings (I was of mixed emotions in the Fine Arts one), visited the vintage tractors, and then decided to part ways till the group get-together scheduled for between the Sky Ride and the Food Building. We are trained in - first one there to score a table STAYS PUT till whole group arrives.

Off to the sheeple barn I go. No good reason. I'd have been content drawing bunnies, porkers, or fowl, but the sheep were just there - waiting - haha. I chanced into a relatively clean spot on barn floor in an odd "l"-shaped coming together of pen rows. Two cooperative mostly-shorn sorts were dozing and awake by turns. Out came the tiny tin of gouache and watercolors, and that magical brush with water in its barrel. Sometimes sheep moved. So one single head study is actually of two sheep. You do what you must. I had Glenn Gould playing Bach in my head. One ear-bud. So if a watcher asked a question I could be polite and pay attention. I showed off tiny tin to several people Some got Excited. Oh, the possibilities!
Four or five pages of gouache studies filled the "flow" time. Magical how that happens. One REALLY SEES stuff. The soft "Georgia O'Keefe foothill" wrinkles on neck and flanks.


The "non-color" color of shorn coat. The wool left on head.
The muted colors in tine were up to the task of mirroring actual local color. Huzzah. Time passed all too quickly. A couple stopped by - they are Standard Poodle People. I might gain a portrait commission. Not going to count my poodles till they hatch.

Gathered up art supplies around 3:30 and headed slowly back to meeting up site. The day was perfect. Large crowd filled most of the grounds. Lots of people do not enjoy hoards of people at the fair. I walk around with a smile on my face. Of course, I am no longer pushing a baby stroller. I try to make way for wheelchairs and stollers. Oddly, I saw no one carrying around a huge prize from the Midway - what gives?

Back at our spot we chatted about the day as folks began to gather. The ones who'd not gotten "i draw"pin  and the event pin for 2017 got theirs. This year The State Fair Rodent Mascot graced our pin. One year it was a sketch of a sow and sucking baby piggers. One year it was a cocky Hen.

We gathered around and put our various sketchbooks and drawing papers onto two large flat stones. Some did true show and tells of the day. "Archie," a young East Indian woman living in Minnesota allowed us to see her wonderful watercolor sketchbook. She is a member of the Urban Sketchers group - a group that is worldwide. Her book held detailed drawings from Middle Eastern markets to others done in her native India. But, of course, she purchased her book and art supplies at St. Paul's Wet Paint - the GREAT indie art supply store we are so lucky to have nearby. Eek. I might need a new nibbed drawing pen - NOOO! But its line was so exquisite... We shall see what we shall see...


WEarily when Todd and I decided to go different ways I handed him a nice small sheet of good watercolor paper and a common yet treasured ultra-fine black Sharpie Marker. He went on his merry way, ate some chicken somethings, found a spot somewhat near the HUGE Ferris-wheel, and proceeded to create a lovely loosely-drawn "time-lapse" drawing. The sky on the left needed filling  - well, here came a small plane circling the grounds! It took me a while to see the man's form in the foreground - but there he is - next to the fire hydrant. I was proud of my man for participating. And his drawing fit right in with those of the rest of group. Yup, he got his pin!

We put our pieces side by side to photograph. Fun to see together!


One of the guys in the Twin Cities Urban Sketchers group requested a volunteer at the Historical Center's Newspaper /Print Shop space create a lead type piece. This might not have been legal by Minnesota law, but it sure makes a pretty mark! And what a great idea! I won't tell if you won't tell. (And I might be a wee bit jealous...)

After all the sketch sharing was done we chatted quietly about a wide range of things. I now know that there is a group of jugglers of all range of skills that meets regularly in the metro area. We know that Monday's leader, and supplier of morningcoffee and mini-donuts, won a prize for his print in the Fine Arts Exhibition! We know that veggies are good subjects for drawing as they tend to stay put. We know that there are always new art methods to play with.

As a lovely end to our adventure, one woman began blowing soap bubbles into the light breeze. A little more magic in a day is almost always good!


This group usually meets the first Saturday and Monday of the State Fair. Drawers in ALL ranges of ability are WELCOMED! If you dare to draw, you are a Drawer. And even if you can't make these "official" dates, just bring along some pens or pencils and a few sheets of paper. Sit for a while and put some marks on your paper. Your record of the fair wil be unique, and might become a treasure.

I'm planning to return on Thursday and Labor Day. Thursday, "alone" with hundreds of thousands of people, and the last day in the Great Minnesota Get-Together, with a pal who "forced" me to bring her along last year. Look out, Butterfly House - Dee and I are coming - LOL! Last year's visit was great. Guessing this year's day might be Better!

The owners of this coffee shop have been to the fair three times already. Another pal goes nine times. Next year I'll have to up my State Fair game.


Darn - it's probably time to quit this fun.
On to the rest of this glorious Upper Midwest day.
And time to donate some $ to folks in Texas.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue 

www.suerowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Rowe-Studios

No comments: