Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Better - 15


This late afternoon held one of those:

You Have to Take a Walk and Have a Serious Chat With Yourself Walks

So after sipping a very small cup of de-caf at River Market Co-op I headed down the form railroad bed that now parallels the St. Croix River in Stillwater. The air was perfect. Tree canopy created just the right mix of sun and shadow. Most of the bikers and skaters were good with their versions of "On your left." I set the iPhone timer for ten minutes. And headed North.

For no good reason part of brain thinks of this year as The Lost Year. No, I don't know why. Brains are mysterious things. At last year's end I had Plans and Ambition. Due to a couple things early in 2017 that threw off my usual self-imposed schedule I have never quite felt back on the "Woo Woo!!" Track.

Looking down on the path a bit past it's start - a sign? Two white arrows, one in front of each other, pointing forward. O.K. I'll take that.

So for ten minutes out and ten back the I made the brain remember many lovely, interesting, and fun things I DID DO this year.

I'll not bore you with details - some where seemingly trivial and some were of national Woo Woo! calibre. But they were of equal importance to the walk. Yes, a podcast of "On Being" was in one ear. While out walking I prefer having one earbud in and one ear open to current reality. Topic was physics and crochet. It is an excellent episode.

I practiced smiling The Big Smile. Try it if you'd like. Sometimes it helps. A few fellow walkers  and I exchanged "Hi's. That helps. 

Huge burr dock plants were clustered in one area off the path. This sent brain off to memory of my last horse appearing one dat with her forelock, mane, and long chestnut tail completely filled and covered with burrs. Her tail was a four foot burr club. This was not a Good Thing.

So I set about finding and destroying every burr dock plant in the pasture, and then, with hours, and fingers, and combs, and care, removing every burr from Daisy's hair. I can't remember. I'm sure it took several days. So Velcro discussions always bring mixed emotions. I really like Velcro. I heartily dislike burrs. But good things can come from bad things.

As I was coming up to the park at the end of the trail an Army band was doing a sound check. This group was the last musical act for this year's Summer Tuesdays. They did three songs and a bit of Johnny Cash. And were quite good. I hope that tonight's crowd was enthusiastic in their applauding.

I left the area and headed home. Brain had done it's duty. It had talked me into realizing, at least for tonight, that this year has NOT been lost. And that there are still some precious months remaining.

Sigh and whew and we'll see what happens next.

On to Wednesday, and whatever it holds.
Friday through Sunday hold Booth 164 at Green Bay, Wisconsin's ArtStreet. We will be in an area we've never been in before. Near the raffle area, food area, and part of the entertainment area. Time will tell how she goes.

So, fare-thee-well, and, athough the list of things to do was not completely checked off, it remains as a reminder of a track to set my wheels back on come morning.

Come on brain, it's time for bed.

A twenty minute chat with yourself? It might be a challenge, but it might do the trick!

No comments: