Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hibiscus Hooray & Public Speaking


Greetings -

Some long time ago, let's say, Summer, let's say early July, of, ummm, 2011, the camera took control and snapped way too many photos of many magnificent Hibiscus. Almost all pink, all in varying degrees of bud and bloom. The close-up lens became beguiled with line and texture. I knew there was a purpose for all the images, but as of yet I haven't thought of the one true one.

So today's liney pinky picture is put up simply because it recalls a warm day in a different state with beloved family, and also because it so reminds me of a costume that daughter, Tara, made. From real pink fabric for a real fake character who she sometimes portrays.

My 30 Day Challenge to be More Brave is not going so well. There IS almost half a month left, so there is hope. I have a presentation on Edward Gorey and Leonard Baskin scheduled for later in the month. In the olden days this would lead to solid sweating panic and fear. I used to get the occasional Failing Grade (E or F) for refusing to stand in from of a class and doing an oral book report. This was GREAT! I'd walk back to my seat after watching the teacher put the mark in the grading book, heave that old sigh of relief, and get on with the rest of the day. Now, and I truly don't know when/why, I seldom fear speaking in public. Now, if I'm on a roll, I may be even too long and loud. Who have guessed? Me? Never. Oh well. Another Life Mystery.

Speaking of speaking - a great tip learned long ago was "really know your topic." And "Use props." And "project your voice." And "have time for questions and answers." If I had my way almost all my presentations would be mostly Q and A. I want to present what people want to know. And it's fun to invite folks who might know even more about the topic to add to the discussion. We'll see how the Baskin/Gorey goes.

Anyway, a few weird health issues still persist. I hope I'm "in the pink" pretty soon. Summer is coming. Gardening books are sitting here not wanting to be ignored. The three giant "Mr. Jade" plants look longingly out to the patio. But this morning's temp would not have been to their liking. And the last bloom dropped off the tiny brave Christmas cactus. I drew two of it's blossoms in the visual journal so will recall the charm of their rich pink petals. Drawing always seems to be good for what ails ya. Perhaps focusing on something other than one's whiney wimpy self for an hour rests and relaxes the brain, as well as exercises it's ability to tell the eyes and hands what to do. That's quite the blithering paragraph, but a paragraph it is.

On to Brave. On to Pink. On to Public Speaking. On to wondering if the box elder bug crawling over my Things to Do journal would offer to help Pack Tee-shirt Order. Probably not. A box elder bug's gotta do what a box elder bug's gotta do. And we do, too.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

No comments: