Friday, May 2, 2014

Don't Be Afraid to Begin

All around the world people are starting things. Cars, houses, college.

Here we are starting a new painting. It will be simple, and, cross fingers, fun. But starting can be scary, especially to those of us who don't do thumb nail drawings often, or graph things out, or work often with "Hmm, which art supplies are closest to our arms today."

Recently, Todd the Good cut two wooden boards, per my request. They measure 11 " x 18". After gessoing them, I used up some black craft paint and them more black in covering most of each board. I know that these pieces will be "bear in moon" paintings, so did leave a center area in white.

But I want each to have it's own personality, so there ends the tale of the prep.

Here is start of the first:



Acrylic paints, freely applied. Of course, the playfulness is gone now, because I spread the stuff together... But this image will remind me that a brightly dotty moon is oddly magical in it's own way. This is one reason for photographing your work along its journey to completion. One flick of the brush and THIS image is much changed.

I look over at the progress on the work and the moon above is gone.... A perfectly good moon is up in the sky, but now I miss THIS one. This is a good thing...... And will give me the wanting to Start a new work. but, first the FINISH the two in progress. The on-going mind war in an artist's brain.

Start something today, continue something, finish something? a little forward, or even backward, motion is a marvelous thing to achieve!

Happy May 2nd, whether to cold, too hot, or just right!

Fare-thee-well,
Sue
The garage sales are calling. We must heed their call....

No comments: