Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Tiny Sketchbook

Nope, I don't NEED any more sketchbooks. But these little Strathmore Visual Journal cuties were only a dollar each, with 24 sheets of bristol paper, and, well, I only bought ten... Gave one to my sister, so only have nine. And might have to call daughter to maybe get me a few more. No, I don't have a problem - ha!

The sheets measure 5" by 3" and are held together by some serious wire spirals. Back and front covers are both hard stock. No bending flopping hard to hold book here. And they can fit into so many pockets and purses. Ye haw! (Paper IS white - not the appearing "grey" below.)

As a sketcher I "never" draw on both sides of a sheet of sketchbook paper. It's just a thing with me.... But because of the paper thickness and because I use pens most often....  I've changed my ways for a tiny while! So strange to thumb through this first little book and see images on both sides of the page! Whole different "feel" - more "book" than sketchbook. Something to consider when working in other tomes.



Using ball point pens and Sharpies and Pilot Ultra Fine Point. I get stuck in my Sharpie rut, but daughter and others have inspired use of a wider variety of things that leave a mark. And, because I recently bought some RED fountain pen ink expect to see some more colorful doings soon. Why Red? Because the giant art supply store was OUT of black cartridges for my pen.

Did break out the Prismacolor colored pencils for latest drawing. I'd been walking last night and repeating "I'm relaxed and confident" to pretend that I am just that. Knew the words would be peachy on a bear's shirt. Drew confident bear, LOOKED up correct spelling of "confident", and STILL mis-spelled word on shirt. (No, you DON'T want to spend any time in my brain.) Yes, it's ink. No, I can't erase that "N". I don't even know why the brain thought it should have been in that line of letters!!! I was PLEASED that the long line of letters fit on the shirt!



What to do? What to do??? Heck, just cross out letter and get on with the day...
(Thanks to you Facebook folks who think the flaw makes the drawing "more charming." I still think it's a Major Flaw, but am trying to appreciate the charmingness of flaws.)

This drawing, thus far, has no other drawing on the verso (back) side of proceeding page. We'll see what happens if it happens. So many decisions in such a tiny book.

Six drawings in and I must say I'm bonding with this first little book. Would buying thirty be a bad thing? You know that I would share....

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

www.suerowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Rowe-Studios

No comments: