Monday, June 8, 2015

Dancing In Edges

Listening to National League Hockey play-offs and matting and framing pastels. Have I ever mentions how much I do not enjoy framing? Not that it matters. An artist's gotta do what an artist's gotta do.

Anyway, the latest piece to be captured behind glass is a work I titled "Dancing In Edges." Here it is is progress:


I was playing with color and trying to use up little chunks of pastel (an on-going process). After lightly drawing a basic bear I mostly just grabbed colors I felt worked well together and made shapes. Large, small, irregular. It didn't really matter. I did want an un-balanced balance, but didn't think HARD about where the colors and shapes ended up. Whole bunches of sort of "happy accidents."

The darkest areas at bottom probably started off black, but later I covered these spots with very dark blue. I use black when I fell like using it, but this time.... I changed my mind. It's O.K. to change your mind. It CAN be for the better. I did try to not layer colors - hoping their gem-like glows would shimmer against each-other. 

 I really liked the color of the dark-grey paper showing through areas not covered by pastel. This became the most serious issue when trying to finish the painting. I asked friends. i asked family members. I even took this piece to a meeting of the lake Country pastel Society. Opinions were mixed: Keep the grey areas. Work in more colors. 

Going with the "add a bit more color" folks, I had to decide which colors and where to put them. I did enjoy blending some edges while keeping some edges clean. I didn't worry too much about color theory - only whether the result of color against color was pleasing to my eye.

After a few more sessions of pressing bits of pastels into the paper I decided to quit and feel the painting was finished. There are still a few areas free of pastel - yay! And the colors glow - yay! And the piece is matted and framed - so I guess it IS finished - YAY!!



No, you cannot tell that any pastels are missing from the supplies. But I think the paper was well-used, and I hope that this colorful painting catches the eye of a potential customer at an art fair this coming Sunday!

Now it's time to feel sad for the serious Chicago Blackhawks hockey fans. Yup, their team led for a few seconds, but lost in the end.

Between basketball, hockey, tennis, and horse-racing this weekend I am almost sports out. Almost....
Bears, and hockey, and blogging, oh my!

Time for a tea break. It's been a long afternoon and evening of matting and framing art-work. 
But a good spending of time. Two new pieces ready for this Sunday's Art Fair in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. It will be our first time exhibiting at this show, so am happy to increase the bruins' range.

Time to quit dancing. Time for a nap!

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

www.suerowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Rowe-Studios

No comments: