Sunday, May 15, 2016

100 Days - 100 Dreams: 2

I am not a great gardener, but I AM a gardener.

I am not adventurous. I like to plant and grow "normal" stuff - Romaine lettuce, Swiss chard, sunflowers, even green beans ( I used to HATE green beans).

I LOVE certain plants more than others - the Blue Dwarf Kale, the sweet basil, tomatoes. No, I don't know why. These three are are simply my favorites. Yes, dear sunflowers, you, too.

After years of filling the plot with almost every apple from our apple tree and almost every leaf from our lawn we have needed no commercial fertilizers the past two years. We have a compost pile, but generally Todd just digs a "grave" and buries apples or leaves. Laziness works - so far.

As to Dreams... Each winter I get through the dark white time by occasionally thinking just a little about the coming Spring. I will hope that rodents leave us a few daffodils and tulips to bloom in the flower beds, and I make a list of things to plant in the "real" garden.
I ask friends and family for suggestions for new or different green things. This year we will try growing a few things upward. More "space" and a tad of experimentation. I am not a daring gardener. I want plants to produce. I try not to tempt fate.

Right now the garden looks like this:


With luck and care and another good Summer I dream it will once again look something like this:



I dream of more and taller sunflowers this year.
And of more hours to spend out simply watching the insects, birds, and other creatures making their visits to this little patch of hope.
And of time to study the gardens of others - each with its own personality.

Tomorrow brings some days of warmer weather. Tomorrow will hold planting. The Dream of Green continues.

And then, of course, there's Art...

Fare-thee-well,
and plant something.

Sue

www.suerowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Rowe-Studios

No comments: