Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Ambition


Just notes to ME, but you can read along if you'd like.

This year I made a deal with myself: Blog at least two hundred times or pay $XXX to  somebody or donate to cause.

I keep not remembering to type.
Should I blog in the morning? I don't know. Nothing has happened yet.
Should I blog in the evening? Well, what should get chosen from the full day, and do I blither, or do a sloppy copy in long-hand on legal pad and make it "good" first?

Somehow typing any time gets lost in the mix.

Lost between eye exam, dental exam, buying seeds, bookkeeping, buying more sunflower seeds, walking,  making more Hearts, filling out art fair applications. Starting more art. You  know, those "normal" days we all have.

And I have been Reading! A whole book! An oddie but a goodie - Penn Jillette's "PRESTO! How I Made Over 100 Pounds Disappear and Other Magical Tales." Jillette tells the tale of how, because he likes doing hard stuff, he decided to lose many pounds in a very unconventional manner in a relatively short time. And so many other tales. Penn being Penn types many profanities along the way - many, but this just flavors the fascinating read, really.

The next - heavier - tome awaiting return to the Stillwater library is "Turner, " by Franny Moyle. Looking forward to immersing brain into his amazing life and doings. These two books - attempts at weight loss (achievement!), humor, and art - story of my life? Though theirs are writ far more large.
*********************
Minor current doing: Attempting a land/water/sky scape.

This pastel (12' x 24") in progress is inspired by a photograph taken last summer up north on a particular lake. I am working on the weird black paper Todd found at a garage sale several years ago. We do not now its maker - only that it is TOUGH, large, and must be cut with a scissors. The surface is treated with a clear gesso mixed with dark acrylic paints - usually a very dark blue, red, black mix.The resulting tooth is great for pastels. I am glad that we have lots of this paper.... And paint and gesso.


Reference photo printed (note to me: clean printer head) -  one begins where one begins. Because I seldom use a reference for my work, this almost feels "easy" and a little like cheating. LOL. Weird. And, as with working jigsaw puzzles one has to decide WHERE to start. Go for the "boring" parts first - or the exciting ones? "Light" won this round. I much prefer looking at skies than at water (sorry, water). so in went the soft whites and very pale yellows and blues.
No, I do not know all the names of all the pastels used. Some are from the 1950's - not many, and lots are by excellent current manufacturers. My Motto: Use what works for the project at hand.
No, my pastels are not well-organized. I don't even know where some of them are! Yesterday I came upon a small plastic hobby case filled with organized colors sitting up on a shelf of ceramic animals. These things happen here. Go with the flow. Bak to work.

Here image is after one more hour of work:



No, the colors/shapes are not exactly where they are in the photo. 
I am creating a painting - not copying a photograph.
That is another decision I has to make.
Over and over and over.
There are colors in painting that are not in photo.
Printed photo is not a "good" copy of actual digital image.
So it goes.
One starts, thinks, re-starts, thinks.
Should I but in the whole tree line? 
What if a little light violet gets sneaked into sky and water?
What will make this image "pop" even more?
Much more work ahead.
Yay?!?

**********************
This is where life stands this early March. Oh, and a long-awaited double portrait of real people - people I knew and know - is in its very beginnings. Graphite on good printing paper. Loving father and and adoring daughter. I hope my skills are up to the task.

***********

Now it is time for breakfast and then sneaking off to first of day's showing of "Logan" on "$5.00 Tuesday."

Work will be waiting when we get home.

And maybe time for another blog post.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue
**********************
www.suerowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Rowe-Studios

No comments: