Sunday, October 29, 2017

String

We so often take things for granted.
String, for example.
This ball of cotton string has been in our home so long that I have NO idea how long it's been here.


On that shelf in that hallway closet.
I never think about it until it is needed. 
It is sometimes "in the way" - in front of something else more needed. But it stays in front because I would forget that it exists - and it IS needed from time to time.

I don't know if we bought it new. I used to crochet lots. In the 1960's and '70's. Long before crocheting and knitting became what they are today. Yarns and crochet cotton were not at all as exciting as what is available now. Baby Yarn was exotic. The internets did not exist. Aunts had to teach you.

 Back then I went through many balls of crochet cotton - creating snowflake Christmas tree ornaments (each ornament took me exactly one "Phil Donahue Show" to make. Do the math - hourly "wage" times one hour - for every one). One year I used a number of balls to make a blue ribbon winning cotton smock. And almost as soon as I made it I spilled a something on the front that I could never fully remove. So I probably wore this piece maybe once or twice. All those hours. One little spill. I try not to think about it - until the State Fair comes around.

Now I mostly use this string to tie up coffee filters cut in half to make tea bags. It works. I am glad there are still quite a few bags worth of tying ability left on this squat cardboard tube. And that it sits patiently - ready to be put to whatever use we choose.

Time for one last cup at tea tonight.
Time to tie up this post.

Tomorrow holds the first day of setting up Peggy's Holiday Boutique in Roseville Minnesota. I always wish we had a time-lapse camera noting the transformation of the large empty hall at the John Rose Oval Center into a holiday wonderland FULL of wonderful things to see, taste, and buy. It takes five full days to do this. Every year many things the same. Every year changes and having to be flexible in the outcome. Every year still amazed that it all comes together!

But first, that tea - Yes, I'm re-using a certain string-tied bag.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue



No comments: