Saturday, January 5, 2013

Challenge 1 - Desk and Journals - Day 1 and 2

I do not hoard paper.
I do not hoard paper.
I do not hoard paper.

However, It's really hard to toss away, however small, a piece of paper. The one that has no marks on it. the one that's scrap from trimming paper. One that's big enough for a tiny drawing or a short sentence.

These all head for one drawer in my work desk. This drawer is very full.


I'm not over-fond of the term "lightbulb moment" - but recently, while still in bed trying not to hear my head ding, well, I had one.  Not lightbulbs but scrap papers morphing into a bunch of small journals! Simple stab binding "books" of many shapes and sizes.  Yes! Rid drawer of stash. Make semi-useful items. Use some. Give others away. Another Challenge. I (we?) need another challenge...

Well, a combination of challenges. Back to the desk. This antique kitchen work desk has been in our home for nineteen years. It is my friend. It saw me through most of my model horse tack making career - the plastic box in the back still holds remnants of this former life. It's convenient and well-used. 30 Day Challenge - clean and organize this paper magnet once again. Year Challenge - keep it clean and organized. And create tiny tomes from it's many mysteries hidden within those drawers and doors.



On to it. January 2nd - the Adventure begins! Because this cannot take up the day I decided set a time limit of from 15 minutes to one hour to choose, trim, or fold papers. And/or attack desk clutter. Make this Fun. Remember to make this Fun. Come to the doing Joyously. Consider the "baby steps" in actual inches. If a cliche must be used use one. "Remember the pyramids weren't built in a day." Remember this desk won't be cleaned in a day. And have a vision of final outcome. On to it!

So - here we are so far. A variety of folded paper papers - different sizes, different weights, different textures. All in one plastic bag - waiting for the next move.


I don't have any great hopes for making this paper into anything but functional bundles of repurposed pages. But the drawer will be be lighter, and maybe some of the completed pieces will lighten the heart of a person or thirty. There are red adhesive hearts in one desk drawer - among other Decorative Mysteries. Hmmmm. Time to start Day Three.

A 30 Day Challenge can be a marvelous attempt. YOU know what your choices are. Choose one. It's only 30 days - but it IS 30 days. Or start shorter and create a 10 Day Challenge. It will add a bit of spice/purpose/reason to get up in the morning to the day.

If you complete a challenge let me know. You could receive a useful journal in which to document your next Challenge!

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

No comments: