Thursday, January 24, 2013

Desk and Journals 5 - I Digress

Not to worry.

 Desk is getting cleaner and piles are getting leaner. Fifteen minutes a day most days. I have found things that I certainly thought were somewhere else. Woo hoo! A gentleman will probably get a requested custom drawing two years after he brought up the idea. But then slips of paper are found that remind me of lost opportunities not acted upon. ACT UPON YOUR OPPORTUNITIES! That's a major point I make when talking to folks, especially youthful sorts, just beginning their business days in the creative world. Argh, I think as long-gone possibilities get pitched into the trash. One can cross fingers that new chances keep coming, and that one does learn from mistakes (laziness, carelessness, not following through promptly).

As to digressing - well, LOTS more paper is piled in the studio. Not willy-nilly, but piled none-the-less. As vacation from desk duties I recently sorted through one small filing/piling section of a metal shelving  area. Deciding Keep, Try to Sell, Definitely Toss about each sheet of paper is good practice. I don't know how long it took but we now have one empty tray. Baby steps. Baby steps. Rejoice in the empty tray! Seriously. If you clean an area down to Empty - REJOICE! Look at this space with Joy. If possible, don't fill it with anything for a day or two. It is a space for New Possibilities. Let it rest empty and clean.  Till you need it for it's new purpose - and that space will be available. Yippee!


Of course, the painful part is parting with the Tossing Pile of papers. This must be done. I tend to apologize to particular drawings and sentences that are now too weak to stay around. These are personal judgement calls; your decisions will differ from mine. I might covet a scrap from your pile. I know some folks don't like it when I tell them of my drawn and quartered bears. But it has to be done. Here's the stuff heading for re-cycling. I still have mixed emotions.


Goodbye, O.K. but not great bear ideas. Goodbye, poor prototypes. I'm glad you all came out of the pen, but it's time for us all to move on.

That's it for today. It's almost time to start applying for art fairs. It's time to consider trying new venues and dropping others. Time to cross fingers that we get back into our favorite shows. Time to get back in  to the studio and create fresh work. Tough to think about Color when the days have been so Grey. Literally. If the old lawn chairs were not robin's egg blue  the whole backyard would be monochrome. Time to get back to the desk and journals challenge. And for you to get back to tasks both creative and fun.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

No comments: