Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Going Going


Poetry in January

One can see the end of the month from here.
And though I have not posted thirty times about thirty poets I have read over thirty poems.

And the blog challenge "forces" brain to consider Poetry every day.
This is Something.

I think of school children memorizing poetry one hundred years ago, and wonder how many children know a poem by heart today. Maybe rap lyrics count.

Do you have a favorite poem memorized?
My go-to words are "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll.
Time to step up the doings.
Every year I vow to re-memorize "The Gettysburg Address."
Really.
A copy sits on my work desk.
In seventh or eighth grade our class had to memorize it, and recite Abe's words into a tape recorder.

It was the first time I heard myself speak on record.
It was not a pleasant thing.

But I KNEW the Address.
Now I get about a third way through, and although the Images appear in brain the Words do not. I can "see" men not dying in vain, but the specific words don't form into the waterfall of words that make up this most powerful short speech.

This early morning I was reading haiku. From hundreds of years ago to present time.

We can write haiku - even if it's not "good." Five - seven - five.
Try it.

*************
Some words are scribbled
With a cheap yellow pencil
on white paper

*************

On to the day and its wonderments.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

www.suerowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Rowe-Studios


No comments: