Saturday, October 29, 2011

30 -32:Hoarding?

To hoard or not to hoard?

"Boxes equal security," a friend told me long ago. I was signing a copy of JUST NORTH ENOUGH for her. If you get a signature you get a bear. Her bear had LOTS of boxes. A hoarding bear or simply a more-secure bear? Perhaps a less secure bar?

Monks and nuns come to mind. Can they be hoarding inward things?

I would tend to hoard paper. Yesterday Tara and I walked to a garage-sale. I bought a book on 1930's Fashion for her, a 1904 receipt journal for me (it was $1.00 for somebody's lived life in 1904....), and then "had" to buy a small un-used receipt journal for fifty cents. However, I passed on buying MUCH more stuff I wanted to buy - just because it was paper. Particularly, types of paper I do not own. Sad ANDProud? You betcha.

The old journal holds information "From May 1st, 1904 to May 1st, 1905."

Hmmm.... just now really checking it out. What's this? A verse written vertically in the margin of the long thin page.

Let us be unashamed of soul
How is it under our control
To love, or not to love?

Along the page noting purchases including
tobacco .25
seeds .15
5 1/2 yds print .27 1/2
wagon grease .25

It's been a really long long time since most of us have bought a bit of wagon grease.

Do you think that folks hoarded a fair share of wagon grease in 1904? Or tobacco?
Probably.

Folks in the Stone Age probably hoarded rocks. Rocks equalled security.

Off to today's ridding home of 30 things. And then fighting urge to hit the garage-sale circuit in search of more security. But must go visit this morning's Stillwater Farmers Market. Wagon grease? No - caramel roll.

Fare-thee-well,
Sue



No comments: