Friday, May 12, 2017

Book - 5


Most of these words, but not all,  are directly from Wikipedia. Here goes:

"All Quiet on the Western Front" by German World War I veteran, Erich Maria Remarque, was first published in book form in 1929, but was previously printed in the November and December issues of a German newspaper.  It depicted "the extreme physical and mental stress at the front, and the detachment from civilian life felt by many upon returning home." It also had a sequel, "The Road Back," published in 1930. Both books were banned and burn in Nazi Germany. (I did not know of sequel. More reading ahead.)

It was made into a film in 1930, and again in 1979 as a television film, in which "The Walton's" John Boy starred. My words - not Wiki's.

The book sold two and a half million copies in twenty two languages  in it's first eighteen months in print. I am not sure, but am guessing that it has never gone out of print.

The phrase "all quiet on the Western Front" has become an expression meaning stagnation, or lack of visible change, in any context. - Wikipedia.
Oddly, this - on a far lower level - seems where my art work is sitting. The art supplies are waiting, waiting for the next explosive bursts of energy. It is an unsettling feeling - the keeping busy, and putting in the hours, but not being satisfied that inner and outer "battles" with brush, pen, canvas, and paper.

Back to the Front:

Erich Maria Remarque: "The book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will simply try to tell of a generation of men who, even though they have escaped (its) shells, were destroyed by the war."

Because of Wikipedia I know how the book ends. Mixed emotions? No emotions? The war is only half over for me. For many of the dead troops it has been over for months. Though the  surviving soldiers of late have spent days of nervous calm, and perhaps even had a chance to frolic with a few local French girls, another battle is brewing. Soon more huge BOOMS! and thousands, millions? of "Pop. Pop. Pop. Popping will fill the air again. Trenches will be destroyed. Many more men will die.

These words by the narrator lie ahead, but where, I do not know, "Let the years and months come, they can take nothing from me, they can take nothing more. I am so alone, and so without hope that I can confront them without fear."

Yes, another battle is brewing... Sigh. For these soldiers I wish that the only brewing going on was that of good coffee, with a great tasty piece of bakery to go with another fresh cup...

Fare-thee-well,
Sue

www.suerowe.com
Facebook Page: Sue-Rowe-Studios

Bears of the Day (I wonder what they'd look like with helmets on.):


Now it is time to take a short walk, sip a last sip of coffee, keeping listening to classical music from "vintage" Sony Walkman radio, and appreciate that I can do what I do as a living.
Thank you.

No comments: