Monday, May 15, 2017

Book - the hunt


"All Quiet on the Western Front" - 

I have learned a lesson - but probably too late.
I've "lost" the audiobook version I'd been listening to on YouTube. It was always the first one that would come up when the title was typed into Search bar. I'd been taking it for granted.

Until last night.
I am not the smartest cookie in the laptop  jar.
And another brighter type could probably hit a few keys and find "my" book.
I cannot.

However, I have discovered several other versions - each with good and bad (from my point of view) points.

I'd finally been "picturing" the troops correctly - as Germans. The brain had been wanting to see the soldiers as "ours." So after getting to see troops as being who they were now I've found another audio version - but with all the readers having British-sounding accents. Almost LOL. But more of a Sigh. Bye bye, Brits.

The one now working best is a video containing both text and voice-over. It is a site used for learning the English language. One can listen "faster" or "slower." "Faster" is more the usual speed of speaking, but the "slower" can almost put one in a meditative state. The narrator is "neutral."

There are tutorials online, and at least one film version of the first movie based on the book.

If I wasn't trying to focus on finishing the "book" I could easily be tempted into veering off into watching short films dealing with The Great War. And critiques of the book. And abridged "cheater" versions.  And words from the author. Not yet. Maybe later.

It's time to once more return to the front.

Sigh and Fare-thee-well,
Sue

No comments: