Sunday, May 7, 2017

Books - 2



It is NOT "All Quiet on the Western Front" - the audio book I am listening to is complete with shell pops and background sounds. Makes the misery even more miserable. And I am only two hours into the action. Much war to go. Yes, I peeked at Wikipedia.  One might find out exactly who will die. Even knowing I will carry on.
From time to time I do forget that the soldiers are the Germans. Therefore, every so often my wacky brain has to turn them back into Germans. Brain WANTS them to be American or British. No. These are German men dealing with German sufferings. I must remember this. War is hell for both sides? And those caught in the middle? And trees? And rabbits? And deer? Most likely.


On to more pleasant doings - the various varieties of daffodils and tulips are finally in full bloom. The wire mesh and rocks and bricks and carpet samples over newly-planted bulbs kept munchers at bay - yay! But now I forget to go out and enjoy the short-lived blossoms. And get distracted by the alien plant forms that have infiltrated the ground and rocks near the flower beds. "Things" are growing were nothing has ever grown in the twenty-plus years we have lived here. Sigh. Tenacious things with fine clingy root systems. Plant forms that are Life Lessons in Persistence. Lessons I have little time to learn. Oops - this was supposed to be about pleasant things.

Pleasant: the first rhubarb sauce and baked crisp of the season. Plants go from cutest little furl-y popping out of soil greenery to WE ARE HERE AND WE WANT TO BE USED in blink of eye. Yay, 'barb! And as the crisp is just out of the oven - really - and needs to be tasted - uh, yeah, sure - I am going to stop typing and go put a spoon into the bubbly crunchy gooey goodness.

Tomorrow (Monday) holds doing the tasks I'd planned to do this weekend. It's been that kind of year... Carry on.


Fare-thee-well,
Sue

No comments: